W/C 27th January 2020

Monday 27th January 2020

Dembe woke me up at 7.45am by coming into my room and barking. I was asleep so I am guessing that he had perhaps tried more subtle ways but they had failed to rouse me. Jay had taken him out at 5.15am as he was on an early. Despite having Agility training yesterday it seems he is full of beans today.

Today he decided to bury his Antler chew under the rug in the lounge. He took every toy out of its box. He was fizzing with energy it is exhausting!

He slept in his wicker basket this morning up in his dads room whilst I got some sewing done. He has started to use the wicker basket now that it has gone upstairs. He never really used it when it was downstairs preferring to sleep on the sofas.

He is incredibly hungry today and was looking for his dinner from 3pm. He has been very unsettled and barky all day. Quite out of character.

Dembe with Find it Bunny

Tuesday 28th January

Dembe is a very tired boy. This morning we had some horrible news. My dear friend Imogen rang me very early to tell me that her dog had passed away earlier this morning. It was so upsetting hearing her so utterly devastated that I was crying, whilst trying to speak to her. Dembe crawled up onto my lap and licked my face attempting to comfort me. Jay and I had a rough day after this as it was just so upsetting. Rest in Peace Bors.

We had dog training this evening, again this week there were reduced numbers so there were only 4 dogs in class. Max the GSD was much better until someone wasn’t watching where they were walking and allowed their dog to get too close to him, so he reacted. I felt so sorry for the owner as he is trying so hard. We know what it is like to have a nervous aggressive dog, every time something like that happens it really dents your confidence. He had been having such a great training session and Max had been much better. It is such a shame.

Dembe had a fantastic lesson. I thought he was the best in the class, I know I am biased. He worked really hard. A little bit barky to begin with. Jay took the nose band off and worked him with the figure of 8 lead on his neck and he walked like a dream. Our hope of getting him to walk well on a normal lead looks like it may happen. But if it doesn’t it really doesn’t matter as he is so good in so many other ways.

You always know when Dembe has worked hard during a training session as he puts himself to bed. He was shattered after using all that brain power.

Wednesday 29th January

Dembe slept a lot of the day which is totally normal for him when he has had an intensive training session like he did last night. He didn’t really come to life until around 4pm!

Even though he is fully grown now he still loves sitting on my lap. He is on my lap multiple times a day. Either draped across me or fully on my lap.

Jay was on a late night tonight so Dembe had a long walk in the morning. He has been a nightmare today as he is refusing to go to the toilet in the back garden. He keeps going outside and just standing there but doesn’t go. Then he comes inside and starts crying. I know it is because he wants the toilet but due to my disability I can’t walk him and Jay is at work. This is the first time he has refused to even wee outside which is utterly ridiculous.

I gave up trying to go to bed as Dembe would sleep for 10 minutes and then start crying again. I don’t have the energy or the strength to be ( safely ) travelling up and down the stairs for a dog that is refusing to go to the toilet.

Thankfully Jay came home and took him around the block. The silly bugger had 4 wee’s – one was his first ever big boy wee ( cocking his leg) and a huge poo. No wonder he was crying. But he could have quite easily gone outside in the garden rather than get so uncomfortable.

Thursday 30th January

As Dembe went out around the block late last night he didn’t wake up early wanting to go out for his walk. Jay had to practically drag him out of the house for his walk. When Dembe got back he put himself to bed In Jays room until I got up at 7.15am.

Dembe is really enjoying his home cooked meals. I managed to get off Facebook a load of empty plastic take away cartons, which are ideal to weigh out his food portions and freeze them. Each box contains enough for two meals. So we made 21 days worth. I was really lucky as well as hubby managed to pick up some reduced price chicken livers and some cheap mince. Dembe has never eaten this well apart from when he was a puppy. I am so much less stressed around meal times now. Where as before I used to have to sit with him and cheer him on. Now he can be left to eat and won’t wander.

Dembe knows the days his dad comes home for lunch and 10 minutes before he arrives goes on dad watch. He will stay there until he see’s Jays car. He then runs off and greets Jay with a toy in his mouth. It is super sweet.

Having a nap after helping in the kitchen !

We have played Find it with Find it bunny every evening this week. Dembe has got much better at using his nose to find his toy rather than relying on his vision. This has mean’t Jay and I have had to get more and more creative with out hiding places.

We had a really good laugh at Dembe this evening as he went mental as some opera playing in the film The Untouchables. We can’t work out of he likes opera or if he just hates it. It was very funny as the first time took us by surprise, so we whizzed the film back to see if he would do it again and he didn’t disappoint.

Friday 31st January

I had a helper in the kitchen today whilst I was at the embroidery machine. He slept on the kitchen floor whilst I worked. At some point though he decided enough was enough. I know this because when he gets bored of me sewing he always tried to jump on my lap.

He brought me his puppy to try and persuade me to play with him. It doesn’t take much! So as soon as what I was working on was finished I packed up for the day.

We had a lot of games of find it bunny again this evening. It really wears him out quickly when we play this as he has to engage his brain and nose.

Saturday 1st February

How on earth is it February already? I know a lot of people are saying January lasted forever but for me it really didn’t it seemed to fly by!

He was full of beans today and wanted to play non stop!

Sunday 2nd February

Been a bit of a crazy day. We had a flying visit from Leanne and Liam. Then we took Dembe out for a walk to burn off some energy before attending his agility class. He met up with a female Labrador and they ran around like loons. Unfortunately Dembe got absolutely covered in mud from nose to tail so we had to quickly nip back home hose him off, dry him and then all jump back in the car to go to this class.

Due to Dembe’s impromptu bath / shower we ended up being slightly late but thankfully the class before us was late out and we didn’t miss anything. Dembe had a really good class apart from the constant barking which was driving me mad!

When we got home Dembe had his dinner and has slept for the rest of the day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s